Halloween to me

A student’s memories

Elena Cornwell

Vanessa Chavez, junior social work major, spends her Halloween in a special way when at home.

On the night of Halloween, instead of going around her neighborhood, Chavez’s church in Apple Valley, California, sets up a mini-neighborhood in their parking lot to go “trunk-or-treating.” Filled with different game stations where children can earn candy and trick-or-treat, the event provides Halloween in a fun and safe environment.

“It’s my second favorite holiday, after Christmas of course,” says Chavez. “Trunk-or-treating is one of the times I’m able to have a lot of fun with my family. My sisters are so cute, and we just have a blast.”

First, before going to the church, Chavez and her two younger sisters put on their costumes for the main event: the costume contest. In fact, one year Chavez won when she dressed as a clown. Her favorite costume, though, is of a fuzzy monster that her sister wore.  

After dressing up, her family heads down to their church where a live band plays and car trunks are open and inviting. The stands are filled with nachos, funnel cake, lemonade and cotton candy. Kids can get their faces painted, carve pumpkins, throw footballs through a hoop or catch ducks with nets.

Being away from home now during Halloween is hard, but she still has the memories.

Elena is a senior pursuing a personalized major.